All-Allam Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All-Allam Forum

A forum for the website all-allam.com - this is your place to discuss all things relating to the great British actor Roger Allam

+4
Pudupudu
Aoife
Andreawashere
Admin
8 posters

Endeavour on ITV

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Endeavour on ITV Empty Endeavour on ITV

Post by Admin Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:07 am

Hooray!

Here's a super fun place to discuss all things Endeavour, from Shaun Evans to the Jag to Allam's wacky hat. The long, three minute trailer is here for your viewing pleasure.

The new series starts on ITV1 on April 14th at 8:00pm, so set your alarms!
    Andreawashere
    Andreawashere

Endeavour on ITV Empty Re: Endeavour on ITV

Post by Andreawashere Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 am

Only six days to go... (Well, seven for me, I don't have ITV Crying or Very sad) But still, EXCITED!!
    Aoife
    Aoife

Post by Aoife Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:06 am

Apart from 'YAY FINALLY': In the trailer there is a guy who looks a lot like Craig Parkinson (couldn't find anything on imdb, yet but the cast-lists don't seem to be complete, yet). If it's really him I would be extremely amused if he was in the episode with the East End-connection because he already played a Kray-twin-descendant in Whitechapel and I am far too easily amused by these things Very Happy

And did I mention 'YAY! FINALLY'?
    Pudupudu
    Pudupudu

Post by Pudupudu Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:12 am

Yes! And the group of them did look very 'gangster'- typecasting, much? ;-)
    Pudupudu
    Pudupudu

Post by Pudupudu Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:48 am

Colm McCarthy made an Endeavour cake! I want an Endeavour cake!

Endeavour on ITV Tumblr_ml74ruDzDL1r6iszmo1_500
    arwenae
    arwenae

Endeavour on ITV Empty Watched it

Post by arwenae Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 am

Doing my best to put in a spoiler cut, though there are no real details.

Spoiler:

Anyone else?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 pm

At least the beautiful girl didn't get murdered / murder someone else, so Morse is doing better than he usually does ;-) Yes, poor Thursday- he's such a good man
    Aoife
    Aoife

Post by Aoife Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:34 am

Really enjoyed it. For once I did have a suspicion who the killer was which is rare in Morse Razz (unless it's the girl ^^)
    Thursday's 'Elementary' was epic Very Happy
    Andreawashere
    Andreawashere

Post by Andreawashere Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:22 am

Finally watched it!

I think I liked this one even better than the pilot.
    deerstalker
    deerstalker
    Admin

Post by deerstalker Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 am

I thought the references to the original series were good - as was Allam's very noir hat. Also, Morse theme at the end!!
    rhinelander
    rhinelander

Post by rhinelander Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:34 am

To be very honest, I was a bit disappointed by the first episode. Thursday was simply too underused. Liked the pilot much better. In the pilot, there was the added tension that the viewer and Morse were left in doubt for a while how Thursday is to be judged: Is he a good cop or a bad/corrupted cop? Roger's earlier tv roles helped to heighten that tension, I guess. Must add though that I really loved Thursday's and Morse's pub scene in the first episode.

Still very much looking forward to the next episodes.
    Andreawashere
    Andreawashere

Post by Andreawashere Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am

rhinelander wrote:To be very honest, I was a bit disappointed by the first episode. Thursday was simply too underused. Liked the pilot much better. In the pilot, there was the added tension that the viewer and Morse were left in doubt for a while how Thursday is to be judged: Is he a good cop or a bad/corrupted cop? Roger's earlier tv roles helped to heighten that tension, I guess. Must add though that I really loved Thursday's and Morse's pub scene in the first episode.

Still very much looking forward to the next episodes.

That pub scene was absolutely brilliant. The way he delivered that 'Cheese and pickles' line had me wishing I had made those sandwiches for him. Win is a lucky lady.

I hope you liked ep 2 better. I haven't seen it yet (I HATE not having ITV while the UK is at swimming distance), but Twitter is wildly enthusiastic about it, so I guess it's quite a good one.
    rhinelander
    rhinelander

Post by rhinelander Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

Andreawashere wrote:
    I hope you liked ep 2 better. I haven't seen it yet (I HATE not having ITV while the UK is at swimming distance), but Twitter is wildly enthusiastic about it, so I guess it's quite a good one.

Well, who do you think goes thru the same waiting hell??? It is a nightmare.

Hope I can see it tomorrow - unless I am stuck in the office until midnight.

Getting UK television should be a common right for all EU citizens. Why can't they let us watch it online? I'd gladly pay for it.
    space_oddity_75
    space_oddity_75

Post by space_oddity_75 Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I haven't had the chance to watch the episodes yet, either. Sometimes it sucks to live abroad. Sad
    rhinelander
    rhinelander

Post by rhinelander Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Oh yes, IMHO the second episode was a much better treat for fans of Roger. First of all, we should note that Roger has the power to affect my sleep: Woke up before the alarm clock (which never happpens otherwise). Therefore, I had an hour to get some first impressions of the episode before work. Very, very promising. Cannot wait to watch the whole thing.
    Andreawashere
    Andreawashere

Post by Andreawashere Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:09 am

Just finished watching Fugue. Wow that was so good. Some idiot on Tumblr spoiled the plot for me (I'll really stay away from Tumblr next week), but even so, it was so good. Stellar acting, clever script and well, wow.
    Aoife
    Aoife

Post by Aoife Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Talking about this: how do we handle spoilers here? How long is a spoiler a spoiler?

Spoiler:
    Andreawashere
    Andreawashere

Post by Andreawashere Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 am

Aoife wrote:Talking about this: how do we handle spoilers here? How long is a spoiler a spoiler?

I don't make the rules around here, but with Endeavour and other new tv stuff I'd suggest at least a couple of days. With the older stuff, it's a bit trickier. If you're new to Allam fandom, and reading a thread about, for instance, the Inspector Morse ep with Allam in it, hoping to find a link to a Youtube vid or a download, you don't want to read spoilers. I was spoiled for the Waking the Dead ep from 2002, and I really wish I wasn't because I would have loved to figure the plot out on my own. OTOH, 11 years of spoiler warnings is a bit silly. Very Happy

Maybe a warning in the topic title is the easiest way to allow people to properly discuss things and at the same time warn people? And if a topic isn't labeled, I think that spoiler thingy works fine.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I love stories about intelligent and creative serial killers and even more intelligent detectives. But while I like reading those sort of stories, I've never been an avid TV detective fan. A book, I can read and enjoy and that's it. With a TV series, once I get to like the characters, I want character development and I want them to interact in all sorts of scenes, have dinner together, build a relationship, etc.

So that's why I love Endeavour.
    deerstalker
    deerstalker
    Admin

Post by deerstalker Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:02 am

Andreawashere wrote:I don't make the rules around here, but with Endeavour and other new tv stuff I'd suggest at least a couple of days. With the older stuff, it's a bit trickier. If you're new to Allam fandom, and reading a thread about, for instance, the Inspector Morse ep with Allam in it, hoping to find a link to a Youtube vid or a download, you don't want to read spoilers. I was spoiled for the Waking the Dead ep from 2002, and I really wish I wasn't because I would have loved to figure the plot out on my own. OTOH, 11 years of spoiler warnings is a bit silly. Very Happy

Maybe a warning in the topic title is the easiest way to allow people to properly discuss things and at the same time warn people? And if a topic isn't labeled, I think that spoiler thingy works fine.

We've agreed on about two weeks - therefore, if somebody missed an episode or two, they wouldn't have to avoid the forum like the plague until they caught up. It might seem like a long time, but it's a lot more lenient than most - it's usually weeks after the series airs.) There's no point in changing the title, it's for a currently airing series, so common sense would dictate that spoilers would be about. Though I would suggest spoiler tags, just in case.
    rhinelander
    rhinelander

Post by rhinelander Mon May 06, 2013 8:04 am

Goodness. As expected/hoped, the fourth episode really was the best one of the lot. I will need some time to recover from it. Too bad it is swarmed with spoilers.
    space_oddity_75
    space_oddity_75

Post by space_oddity_75 Mon May 06, 2013 7:35 pm

So far I've only watched the 1st and 2nd episode, and both were excellent! Can't wait to see the other two eps and finally be able to comment on them here.

I've also pre-ordered the DVD on Amazon, so that I can see them all again with my husband, who loves this kind of dramas, but needs subtitles in order to understand the plot in full. Smile

ETA: Amazon has just dispatched my order, and the estimated arrival day is next... Thursday! (perfect timing, Y/Y?)
    rhinelander
    rhinelander

Post by rhinelander Tue May 07, 2013 6:50 am

space_oddity_75 wrote:Amazon has just dispatched my order, and the estimated arrival day is next... Thursday! (perfect timing, Y/Y?)

I am still waiting for Amazon's dispatch notice. Hope they will meet the scheduled delivery date on Wednesday. Thursday is a holiday over here and I definitely want to make it a Thursday holiday. I will shut the door and be unavailable for 8 hours.

You will surely like the last episode. I did not care much for the story, but for Roger fans it was a feast.
    Aoife
    Aoife

Post by Aoife Tue May 07, 2013 5:59 pm

space_oddity_75 wrote:So far I've only watched the 1st and 2nd episode, and both were excellent! Can't wait to see the other two eps and finally be able to comment on them here.

I've also pre-ordered the DVD on Amazon, so that I can see them all again with my husband, who loves this kind of dramas, but needs subtitles in order to understand the plot in full. Smile

My mother is the same and I usually download subtitles for her (just google Endeaver, the episode name and subtitles) though it probably depends on your DVD-player if it can play (and at least ours sometimes accepts .srt-files and sometimes not).
    Anyway I also already ordered the DVD (and the soundtrack Rolling Eyes ). Amazon claims it will arrive on the 10th. Fingers crossed that it really will.

I loved the final episode. 'Rocket' was good, too but probably my least favourite of the season (despite the fact that they decided not to go for the 'all Germans are nazis'-steretype but for the 'Germans are obsessed with order and efficiency'-one instead Laughing )
    Andreawashere
    Andreawashere

Post by Andreawashere Wed May 08, 2013 9:19 am

Aoife wrote:
    space_oddity_75 wrote:So far I've only watched the 1st and 2nd episode, and both were excellent! Can't wait to see the other two eps and finally be able to comment on them here.

My mother is the same and I usually download subtitles for her (just google Endeaver, the episode name and subtitles) though it probably depends on your DVD-player if it can play (and at least ours sometimes accepts .srt-files and sometimes not).
    Anyway I also already ordered the DVD (and the soundtrack Rolling Eyes ). Amazon claims it will arrive on the 10th. Fingers crossed that it really will.

I loved the final episode. 'Rocket' was good, too but probably my least favourite of the season (despite the fact that they decided not to go for the 'all Germans are nazis'-steretype but for the 'Germans are obsessed with order and efficiency'-one instead Laughing )

You don't have to be German to have Rocket as your least favourite. Very Happy I liked it better on second viewing, and it isn't 'bad', but the other three were so brilliant! Rocket was... well, entertaining and clever, but IMHO not half as good as the other eps.

Re the DVD, I haven't ordered it yet because from the Amazon description, I think it hasn't got subtitles and no extras? If that is indeed the case, I think I'll wait for a Dutch release or (who knows) a special edition including the pilot.
    rhinelander
    rhinelander

Post by rhinelander Wed May 08, 2013 7:29 pm

Andreawashere wrote:
    Re the DVD, I haven't ordered it yet because from the Amazon description, I think it hasn't got subtitles and no extras? If that is indeed the case, I think I'll wait for a Dutch release or (who knows) a special edition including the pilot.

I am holding the DVD in my hand and on the back it says that it has English subtitles for the HOH. Cannot play the DVD right now, but it should be true.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:51 am