All-Allam Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All-Allam Forum

A forum for the website all-allam.com - this is your place to discuss all things relating to the great British actor Roger Allam

4 posters

Les Miserables - BBC Radio 4 adaptation

space_oddity_75
    space_oddity_75

Les Miserables - BBC Radio 4 adaptation Empty Les Miserables - BBC Radio 4 adaptation

Post by space_oddity_75 Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:19 pm

I recently had the chance of listening to the 6-hour-long BBC Radio 4 adaptation of 'Les Miserables' in which Roger Allam plays Jean Valjean. It was amazing! So much that I want to listen to it again very soon, only this time savouring the episodes more instead of having a full-immersion like I did the first time (I was alone on long train journey and listened to all the eps back to back - tough, but worth it!).

The fact that Mr Allam was cast as Valjean may be a bit disconcerting to those 'Les Mis' purists who were accustomed to him playing Javert in the original musical, but I must agree this change of role is a great asset to the radio play. Allam is a vibrant Valjean throughout the story, and I particularly like how he manages to give his voice more and more depth and strenght as the narrative years go by. We first hear him as prisoner 24601 in the galleys, when his voice is rough for lack of use and subdued as someone who's accustomed to obeying orders; then his character becomes a mayor and a factory owner, so his voice becomes steadier and gets a more commanding undertone, but with a genteel undercurrent that shows how he's good at heart, even in the toughest moments. [Added bonus: Valjean playing with young Cosette and impersonating her doll by giving it a funny little voice. I simply melted in a pile of goo.]

If you enjoy radio adaptations of famous books, I strongly recommend this one, not only for Mr Allam (who is magnificent in it), but for the whole dramatization, which is almost perfect and really worth listening. Well done, BBC Radio 4!

P.S.- Should you want to know more about it, here's an extensive review of this radio adaptation (not mine):
    http://www.pontauchange.com/Media/2001bbc4radio.html
    Andreawashere
    Andreawashere

Les Miserables - BBC Radio 4 adaptation Empty Re: Les Miserables - BBC Radio 4 adaptation

Post by Andreawashere Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 am

I haven't listened to it yet, but that review makes me want to go find it NOW! Thank you!
    Pudupudu
    Pudupudu

Les Miserables - BBC Radio 4 adaptation Empty Re: Les Miserables - BBC Radio 4 adaptation

Post by Pudupudu Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 pm

I love pretty much everything about this one. Amazing work on the part of all concerned.
    Aoife
    Aoife

Post by Aoife Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 pm

I really loved it (not that I know much about Les Mis-adaptions, I've listened to the musical and watched the new movie but that's it, also never read the book...but I can hardly imagine that anything could have been done better ^^).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:50 am