All-Allam Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All-Allam Forum

A forum for the website all-allam.com - this is your place to discuss all things relating to the great British actor Roger Allam

+11
LoobyLoo66
Loves paris
space_oddity_75
sweet_sami
deerstalker
Aoife
Andreawashere
arwenae
rhinelander
kathycanevari
Pudupudu
15 posters

Introductions: how did you come across Mr Allam?

Pudupudu
    Pudupudu

Introductions: how did you come across Mr Allam? Empty Introductions: how did you come across Mr Allam?

Post by Pudupudu Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 am

Hello!

I'm Pudu and I'll be one of your admins this evening (and, indeed, every evening).I have been an Allam-aholic for absolutely years (since I was 5 years old and saw him in Macbeth, in fact) so fellow fans are in like-minded company.

Hope you enjoy the forum!
    kathycanevari

Introductions: how did you come across Mr Allam? Empty Re: Introductions: how did you come across Mr Allam?

Post by kathycanevari Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 am

I found Roger Allam because I was a Benedict Cumberbatch fan, listened to Cabin Pressure for him, but ended up staying for Mr. Allam. That was about a year ago and I have been hooked ever since. The combination of voice, talent, passion, intelligence, beautiful eyes, and of course that hair is a perfect combination. Thanks for a fantastic web site and forum! Very Happy
    rhinelander
    rhinelander

Introductions: how did you come across Mr Allam? Empty Re: Introductions: how did you come across Mr Allam?

Post by rhinelander Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:10 am

OK, I can offer a variation: I did not find Roger because I was a Benedict Cumberbatch fan but because I am an Alex Jennings fan. Accordingly, I first saw him on stage as Hitler in "Albert Speer". Fanhood was not ignited at the time, but I had a distinct feeling it would happen eventually. Always enjoyed watching him when he appeared in something. However, the big bang did not set in until last January when I met some Alex Jennings fans in London and they made me aware of "Cabin Pressure". Now I have finally reached the state of utter addiction ....

Best regards to all fellow fans and thanks to the team behind all-allam.com.
    arwenae
    arwenae

Post by arwenae Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 am

If I'm honest, I probably knew about 4 actors names before 6th form. And I'd only have known 2 of them if I met them in the street. So Cabin Pressure was the first time I associated Mr Allam's name with his face (odd in a way, since it's radio), but since then I've rewatched a few things and suddenly gone "wait... is that..no...it is" But yeah, Douglas Richardson was the one that led me to find out just who that wonderful voice belonged to.
    Andreawashere
    Andreawashere

Post by Andreawashere Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 am

arwenae wrote:If I'm honest, I probably knew about 4 actors names before 6th form. And I'd only have known 2 of them if I met them in the street. So Cabin Pressure was the first time I associated Mr Allam's name with his face (odd in a way, since it's radio), but since then I've rewatched a few things and suddenly gone "wait... is that..no...it is" But yeah, Douglas Richardson was the one that led me to find out just who that wonderful voice belonged to.

Yeah, THAT VOICE. And also, Douglas is such a wonderful tragic hero, how can you not love him?

And welcome to the forum!
    Aoife
    Aoife

Post by Aoife Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:41 pm

I can only offer the boring story of 'I found him through Cabin Pressure and fell in love with his voice' Very Happy (with a little variation as I only started listening to that when I hear that it was written by John Finnemore ^^).
    Later I found out that I had seen him in some other things (Morse, Wind that Shales the Barley...) but as it were all smaller roles I hadn't really noticed him.
    Pudupudu
    Pudupudu

Post by Pudupudu Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Hello Aoife! I listened to Cabin Pressure for the same reason- I loved John Finnemore from The Now Show etc. Didn't realise Roger Allam was in it until I started listening to the first episode and heard a familiar rumble. Pleasant surprise!

Who could fail to fall in love with that voice ;-)
    deerstalker
    deerstalker
    Admin

Post by deerstalker Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello there!

I'm Maddy, aka deerstalker(especially pudus, of course), and the guy on my dp is a very drunk Frank Turner.

Ah, the age-old tale of finding him through Cabin Pressure(though I found out about CP through David Mitchell's Soapbox so I can claim individuality on that), although I did recognise him as "General Whatshisface" from V For Vendetta... so, that. That's the thing. This was nearing three years ago, I think? Not sure.

I have yet to see him in a play(CP recording doesn't count) so I'm really looking forward to The Tempest.

Nice to meet you all!
    Aoife
    Aoife

Post by Aoife Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:12 am

Pudupudu wrote:Hello Aoife! I listened to Cabin Pressure for the same reason- I loved John Finnemore from The Now Show etc. Didn't realise Roger Allam was in it until I started listening to the first episode and heard a familiar rumble. Pleasant surprise!

Who could fail to fall in love with that voice ;-)

Yay, I'm not the only one ^^ (I mean yes, I first heard of CP because of Benedickt but as I'm not a huge fan I didn't feel like listening to it just because of that...but then...oh wait Finnemore wrote it? I think I need to give it a try Laughing )
    sweet_sami
    sweet_sami

Post by sweet_sami Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi! I'm Sandra and I found Roger Allam through a combo of Cabin Pressure and The Thick of It. I listen to iPlayer radio programs while at work and stumbled across CP. Then I found The Thick of It on iTunes not long afterwards :-)
    space_oddity_75
    space_oddity_75

Post by space_oddity_75 Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:05 am

Hello everyone! I'm Sylvy and I'm from Italy. Glad to meet you all! *waves*

Like many of you, I first found out about Roger Allam when I started listening to Cabin Pressure (a friend told me about how wonderful John Finnemore was, and I was curious about his writing), but I'd already seen Roger in Ashes to Ashes and V for Vendetta, only I didn't match the voice with the artist at the time. Moreover, I've always been obsessed with Les Mis songs, and you can imagine my joy when I discovered that Mr Allam was the actor who played the original Javert, whose voice I love so much! Since then, I've seen/listened to many of his performances, and my love for his talent has grown exponentially.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in The Tempest in June. I've bought tickets for two performances in two days, and I'm flying in from Italy with a friend pretty much just for that purpose. Am I a worthy enough fan? ^^;
    rhinelander
    rhinelander

Post by rhinelander Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:41 am

space_oddity_75 wrote:Hello everyone! I'm Sylvy and I'm from Italy. Glad to meet you all! *waves*

Hi, Sylvy from Italy *waving back*. International Roger fans unite!

I will fly in for the midnight matinee of The Tempest in August. Cannot bear the wait.

At the moment, I am drinking myself into a coma, because I cannot watch Endeavour yet ....
    Loves paris

Post by Loves paris Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,
    I am Sue from Chicago. I first saw Roger Allam in Tamara Drewe. I happened upon it half way through the movie. I love anything British so I continued to watch. I know he plays a jerk but I found Roger very attractive. So, with the Internet I started looking to find more things that he has been in. In America we can't get all the British shows so there is still a lot I want to see. I listen to Cabin Pressure frequently and absolutely love it. I have seen all of The Thick of It on Hulu. Endeavor has played on our Public TV. Hope we get the new series here.
    Thanks to Pudupudu for all the info and helping me keep up with Roger. You lucky girl, you got a kiss from him!
    Sylvy, I will be in Italy in May so I will wave! So jealous that you all can see him live in the Tempest.
    I am really glad to meet everyone!
    LoobyLoo66
    LoobyLoo66

Post by LoobyLoo66 Wed May 08, 2013 4:42 am

Hi, I'm Michelle from Liverpool. I found Roger through Cabin Pressure - or rather I heard his voice on Cabin Pressure and was instantly smitten. I have since watched and listened to everything I can find. I think I may be slightly obsessed!

Just like to add my thanks for the web site and forum Very Happy
    catibach

Introductions: how did you come across Mr Allam? Empty Showing my age here....

Post by catibach Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 am

I've been a fan of Roger Allam's since I saw him in Les Miserables.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:31 pm

As many others I started watching Sherlock, then Cabin Pressure, then "Oh what a gorgeous actor and sexy voice and so on", and in few seconds I became irrimediably Allam-addicted. I also discovered he played Javert, who is possibly my favourite character in the whole literature, and then.. Well, I've seen and listened everything possible (read: findable), and blamed myself for not being born earlier.
    ..And then I discovered this and other websites and said: "Oh, I'm not the only one!" Very Happy
    caput_draconis
    caput_draconis

Post by caput_draconis Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Jupiter wrote:As many others I started watching Sherlock, then Cabin Pressure, then "Oh what a gorgeous actor and sexy voice and so on", and in few seconds I became irrimediably Allam-addicted. I also discovered he played Javert, who is possibly my favourite character in the whole literature, and then.. Well, I've seen and listened everything possible (read: findable), and blamed myself for not being born earlier.
    ..And then I discovered this and other websites and said: "Oh, I'm not the only one!" Very Happy

Pretty much my story as well, except with the variation that I very nearly didn't listen to Cabin Pressure because of Benedict Cumberbatch^^ Not that I have anything against him, but a friend of mine is quite a bit enthusiastic about him and kept on bugging me that I should listen to CP because he was in it. So I conceded defeat and agreed to listen to one, and only one episode.
    And was immediately hooked.
    And in love with Roger's voice.
    After googling him, in love. Period. Very Happy 
    flippet

Post by flippet Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:55 am

Hello!  I see most of the activity in this forum took place last year...I feel a little bit late to the party!

Oh well, I will enjoy myself browsing all the old threads.

I'm flippet - and I'm brand new to Roger fandom.  Kicking myself a bit, because a friend tried to turn me on to Endeavour when it started, but I only just found the time to watch...and then I mainlined it.  Very Happy  It is exactly what I love about British television - detective, period, literary - tags all my buttons.  (And my husband has been trying to get me to see V for Vendetta for years...it's suddenly jumped to the top of my list!  Laughing )

So, having found myself strangely attracted to that suave, dapper DI Thursday (who cares that he's got 20 years on me!), I looked him up and discovered that he was the original Javert....fell into the beautiful black hole of Les Mis recordings, and that was it...I'm a happy goner.  Very Happy 

I do have Cabin Pressure - haven't bothered listening yet because a Ben fan sent it to me, and while I do truly enjoy Benny (have you SEEN his Frankenstein? Marvelous!), I wouldn't call myself a Cumberbitch, ha ha.  But now I will be listening for Roger...I'll be saving it, doling it out like candy.  Cool 

My only disappointment is that there doesn't seem to be an album of Roger singing anywhere. (Not cast recordings, just him.)  Seriously...he needs to record something, anything.  It could be nursery rhymes, or he could sing the telephone book to the tune of the alphabet song - I honestly don't care, I'd be listening on endless repeat!  Laughing 

I'll be scouring the web for access to anything else I can get my paws on.  I'm choosy about my objets d'lust, but I have fallen hard for this one.  Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:18 am